Main

Struggle Kids divided over N$13 million from OPM

Struggle Kids divided over N$13 million from OPM

Hertta-Maria Amutenja A group of the so-called Struggle Kids is demanding that N$13 million in an account named Children of the Liberation Struggle, resorting under the Office of Prime Minister must be pumped into different ministries to create job opportunities for them. “We gave our point of view that we want that money to be divided between different ministries so that those ministries can create employment and opportunities for the children of the liberation struggle. They can even invest in the Ministry of agriculture or just in nature conservation. There are many opportunities they can create for the children of…
Read More
Nedbank threatens Nafinu with defamation lawsuit

Nedbank threatens Nafinu with defamation lawsuit

Niël Terblanché Utterances made by the Namibia Financial Institutions Union (Nafinu) General Secretary Asnath Zamuee compelled Nedbank Namibia to seek legal recourse, Gernot De Klerk, the bank’s Spokesperson said. According to de Klerk, the financial institution will now assert and reserve its rights in terms of the various statements made and published, which he said are intended to cause significant reputational harm and spread unfortunate, and even intentional, falsehoods. “Some of these matters are currently under legal review, and given their malicious intent and false assertion of fact, will be dealt with through legal recourse,” he said. Zamuee said in…
Read More
Weak promotion of local resources is a big concern

Weak promotion of local resources is a big concern

Hertta-Maria Amutenja The Namibia Revenue Agency (NamRa) Commissioner Sam Shivute said for Africa to have economic sovereignty the continent needs to strengthen its domestic resource mobilization. Shivute said this earlier this week, while addressing the Southern African Customs Union (SACU) members’ signing of mutual recognition arrangement in South Africa. “If our tax administration, not only in our region but in Africa is weak we will have a failed state and we will not be in a position to enjoy peace and stability. The reason why we need to improve voluntary compliance is for us to grow our economy, to improve…
Read More
Politician wants Nampol shortlist recalled

Politician wants Nampol shortlist recalled

Martin Endjala Joseph Isaacks, the //Karas Region Chairperson wants the recruitment shortlist of the Namibian Police to be recalled after serious complaints and concerns were brought to the attention of his office. He said failure to do so, will lead to a “very unpleasant reaction”. His call follows after 2 530 applications were submitted to the Nampol recruitment process in the region. Only 1 330 applicants met the requirements and 1 200 did not, while 185 were shortlisted of which only 50 will be slotted in from the region. A group of concerned residents launched a complaint to the office…
Read More
Menzies Suffers Yet Another Devastating Defeat in Court

Menzies Suffers Yet Another Devastating Defeat in Court

Staff Reporter Menzies Aviation suffered yet another significant blow in the Namibian High Court, after Judge Eileen Rakow last Tuesday dismissed, with costs, an application by the British-owned company that sought to interdict and declare null and void the agreement entered into between the Namibia Airports Company (NAC) and Paragon Investment Holdings (Pty) joint venture with Ethiopian Airlines, for the provision of ground handling services at the Hosea Kutako International Airport (HKIA). The costs include the costs of one instructing and two instructed counsel for in favour of the first respondent, i.e., NAC and the costs of two legal practitioners…
Read More
Public hearings on youth unemployment to continue

Public hearings on youth unemployment to continue

Martin Endjala Public Hearings on youth unemployment by the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Human Resources and Community Development will go on despite attempts by some Swapo Party Members of Parliament to get them cancelled. The committee commenced yesterday with its regional Public Hearings on the motion of Youth Unemployment in the Zambezi region.The Landless People’s Movement Deputy Leader Henny Seibeb on Sunday alleged that the National Assembly Secretary Lydia Kandetu and Swapo MP Elifas Dingara took a unilateral decision to cancel the public hearings in a Swapo WhatsApp group. Seibeb said that Elma Dienda Chief Whip of the Popular Democratic…
Read More
Namibia signs N$200b Green Hydrogen deal

Namibia signs N$200b Green Hydrogen deal

Niël Terblanché The Government officially signed a pioneering N$200 billion Feasibility and Implementation Agreement on Friday, thereby announcing the development of Sub-Saharan Africa’s largest Green Hydrogen Project. President Hage Geingob officially witnessed the signing of the agreement with Hyphen Hydrogen Energy (Proprietary) Limited. “I thank Hyphen for trusting the Governance Architecture of Namibia with their investment. By signing the Feasibility and Implementation Agreement, a crucial step has been taken to unlock the potential of Green Hydrogen to create jobs for the prosperity of the people of Namibia,” Geingob said at the signing ceremony at State House. Pohamba Shifeta, the Minister…
Read More
Swapo rubbishes letter about the suspension of Geingob

Swapo rubbishes letter about the suspension of Geingob

Stefanus Nashama The SWAPO Party says that a letter circulating on social media platforms announcing the suspension of President Hage Geingob as the leader of the party is not authentic and does not concern the party. The Swapo Party Spokesperson, Hilma Nicanor yesterday in an interview with the Windhoek Observer, denounced the allegations. The letter titled; ‘Suspension from the Swapo Party President Position’ is purportedly written under the name of one Reinhold Shipwiikineni and sparked shockwaves. A number of people reacting to the said letter said that the letter is seriously misleading the nation, damaging the party’s reputation and creating…
Read More
Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic fever claims one life

Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic fever claims one life

Niël Terblanché A deadly outbreak of Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic fever in the Gobabis district claimed its first life at the end of last week. According to Ben Nangombe, the Executive Director of the Ministry of Health and Social Services, the patient with a suspected infection of Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever (CCHF) was treated at a private health facility in Gobabis on 16 May. He was referred to Lady Pohamba Private Hospital on 17 May 2023, and in the early hours of 18 May 2023, the patient was referred and admitted to the Windhoek Central Hospital, Isolation Unit. Blood samples for CCHF investigation…
Read More
Release TransNamib Audit Report – IPPR

Release TransNamib Audit Report – IPPR

Martin Endjala The Institute for Public Policy Research, IPPR, is demanding for the release of the Ernst and Young, E&Y, auditing firm’s forensic report on alleged irregularities at TransNamib which was conducted in 2022. The IPPR says the report ought to be released, given the fact that TransNamib is a public entity. In 2021, it was also reported that there was over-compensation of non-performing executives, while the institution was underperforming and making losses of an estimated N$10 million monthly. According to IPPR researcher, Frederico Links it is time that state-owned entities stop operating in silos when it comes to reports…
Read More