Main

Policy to push 51% slice of mines for locals

Policy to push 51% slice of mines for locals

Hertta-Maria Amutenja The government is exploring ways to ensure 51% local ownership in new mining ventures. This will be done through a new policy aimed at promoting local empowerment and long-term sustainability.Deputy prime minister and minister of industries, mines and energy, Natangue Ithete announced the plan on Tuesday during the opening of the 2025 Mining Expo in Windhoek. “We are actively consulting with industry stakeholders on mechanisms that will promote 51% Namibian ownership in new mining ventures,” said Ithete. He said local empowerment is not only a matter of social justice but also a cornerstone for long-term stability and sustainability…
Read More
Over 1.6m Namibians cannot afford healthy meals

Over 1.6m Namibians cannot afford healthy meals

Justicia Shipena More than 1.6 million Namibians cannot afford a healthy diet.  This is according to the 2025 State of Food Security and Nutrition (SOFI 2025) report by the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations (FAO).  With Namibia’s population at approximately 3 million, this means just 46.7% of citizens can afford the minimum nutritional requirements for a healthy lifestyle. The figures in the SOFI 2025 indicated an increase from last year’s estimated figures of 1.5 million people.  Between 2021 and 2023, the cost of a healthy diet in Namibia rose by over 19%. In 2023 alone, food and…
Read More
Almost a decade later: Genocide deal talks not yet finalised 

Almost a decade later: Genocide deal talks not yet finalised 

Hertta-Maria Amutenja President Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah says Namibia and Germany have not yet reached a final agreement on genocide reparations, nearly ten years after formal negotiations began. She made the remarks on Friday during the 63rd anniversary of Pan African Women’s Day at the Independence Arena in Windhoek.  Nandi-Ndaitwah said talks with Germany are ongoing with the aim of reaching common ground. In April, during her State of the Nation Address (Sona), Nandi-Ndaitwah said progress had been made in discussions over the 1904–1908 genocide committed against the Nama and Ovaherero communities.  That same month, in an interview with Al Jazeera, she…
Read More
Former health bosses not under ACC watch

Former health bosses not under ACC watch

Justicia Shipena  Former top officials at the Ministry of Health are not part of the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC)’s current investigation into the mismanagement of medicine tenders. ACC director general Paulus Noa told the Windhoek Observer that neither former health minister Dr Kalumbi Shangula nor former executive director Ben Nangombe is under investigation. “We have nothing that we are investigating, Dr. Shangula. There’s no such investigation going on around here. We also don’t have a file against the former executive director Ben Nangombe. As far as I know, there was no report that has been submitted to me concerning Nangombe,” Noa…
Read More
Health procurement issues ‘fuel’ ED transfers

Health procurement issues ‘fuel’ ED transfers

Hertta-Maria Amutenja  The recent reshuffle of executive directors, involving officials previously linked to the ministry of health, has raised concerns about corruption and instability in the public service.  Ben Nangombe who served as executive directors at the health ministry is among those affected by the latest transfers. Nangombe served as the executive director of the health ministry from 2018 until March this year, before being transferred to the ministry of industries, mines, and energy. The office of the prime minister announced the changes on Thursday, with effect from 1 August.  This marks the second round of reshuffles in just over…
Read More
ACC flags Interpol in hunt for fugitive Malima

ACC flags Interpol in hunt for fugitive Malima

Justicia Shipena The Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) has flagged the International Criminal Police Organisation (Interpol) over the escape of fugitive Victor Malima. Malima remains at large in connection with the Namcor fuel corruption case. ACC director general Paulus Noa said that Malima has not yet been arrested and said there are no new developments. “We have nothing to update the public except to say that he has not yet been arrested,” Noa said. He explained that the suspect [Malima] has been reported to all relevant authorities, not just in Angola.  “We have to contact all the authorities through Interpol, not only…
Read More
Relocated families threaten return to Otjomuise

Relocated families threaten return to Otjomuise

Hertta-Maria Amutenja Families relocated to Farm 508 behind Goreangab, known as Okapale, have threatened to return to Otjomuise if the City of Windhoek does not address unsafe and inhumane living conditions at the relocation site.  In a petition submitted to the City of Windhoek (CoW) Council, mayor, and chief executive officer, the Khomas Rate Payers and Residents Association stated that the city plans to move more households to the area on 31 July without proper services in place. The petition, signed by 387 affected households, warns that if their concerns are not addressed by 31 July, they will move back…
Read More
Pensioner’s missing funds triggers legal threat against Nampost

Pensioner’s missing funds triggers legal threat against Nampost

Hertta-Maria Amutenja A 75-year-old Katutura woman has taken legal action against the Namibia Post Limited (NamPost), accusing the institution of failing to protect her account from unauthorised transactions totalling more than N$10,000. Petrina Sikeka claims that 12 fraudulent withdrawals were made from her transactional account at the Katutura branch between February and July this year.  The funds include her monthly pension of N$1,600 and an additional N$350 orphanage grant for her grandson. Kadhila Amoomo Legal Practitioners, acting on Petrina’s behalf, sent a letter to Nampost chief executive officer Festus Hangula on Friday. The letter states that the client’s account was…
Read More
PAP appointments trigger legal action by AR

PAP appointments trigger legal action by AR

Allexer Namundjembo The Affirmative Repositioning Movement (AR) has taken legal steps against the appointment of three Members of Parliament to the Pan-African Parliament (PAP), alleging that the process was unconstitutional and violated parliamentary procedures. In a letter addressed to the National Assembly, AR’s legal representative Norman Tjombe demanded official records and minutes related to the nomination of Phillipus Katamelo, Uahekua Herunga, and Rodney Cloete, who were recently named as Namibia’s representatives to the PAP. “The National Assembly did not consider or resolve to designate the said members to the Pan-African Parliament,” Tjombe wrote, calling the appointments “unlawful and procedurally flawed.”…
Read More
DBN sues Enercon over N$28.8m in unpaid loans 

DBN sues Enercon over N$28.8m in unpaid loans 

Justicia Shipena The Development Bank of Namibia (DBN) is suing Enercon Namibia (Pty) Ltd and its associates for N$28.8 million over unpaid loans and breached suretyship agreements.  The case involves allegations of breached suretyship agreements and missed repayments dating back more than a decade. DBN alleges that Enercon defaulted on two loans disbursed in 2011 and 2015, which were meant to finance petroleum product acquisitions and property development.  The total loan amount exceeded N$25 million. Despite restructuring efforts and extended repayment terms, the bank says Enercon failed to keep up with payments.  As of May 2025, DBN records show unpaid…
Read More
No widgets found. Go to Widget page and add the widget in Offcanvas Sidebar Widget Area.